The key development and implementation chronological steps:
• Evaluating and adopting strategy an execution best practice: Different alternatives frameworks for managing the execution of strategies were analyzed and evaluated. The following strategy execution model was selected as a best practice: “Execution Premium”, from Drs. David Norton and Robert Kaplan.
• OSM Roles & Responsibilities definition: Customizing the OSM theoretical model to the reality and constrains of KSA government public sector. Definition of: OSM roles, responsibilities, management processes, governance model (reporting lines and interfaces with other departments), governance calendar, tools, and other human resources (kind of people, number, competences, structure, functions). Detailed KSA e-Government Strategic Management Processes workflow.
• Staffing engagement: Selecting and on-boarding defined staff, with the appropriate skills, fully functional into the OSM structure.
• Development of a Strategy Map: the strategy contained into the Second Action Plan was translated into a single page Strategy Map. This map includes four Strategic Perspectives (Learning & Growth, Business Processes, Customer Service and Value Management), four Strategic Themes (Sustainable e-government Workforce, Government Efficiency, Public Interaction Experience, Collaboration & Innovation), a Customer Value Proposition with differentiating attributes, and 22 prioritized Strategic Objectives.
• Alignment of the Initiatives: the relationship among the prioritized 46 Strategic Initiatives and the 22 Strategic Objectives were analyzed and the “strategic impact” clarified.
• Development of Measures and Targets: 33 Strategic Measures (KPI´s) to track the performance of the Strategic Objectives were selected, detailed and documented. Quantitative Targets for each Strategic Measure were set for the period 2011-2015.
• Ownership Nomination: primary responsibility to coordinate efforts for achieving the different strategy components (Objectives, Themes, Worstreams and Initiatives) were distributed among Agencies Executive Management Team Leaders.
• OSM Communication Plan definition: a communication plan was designed aiming to: align the organization to a shared vision and common direction, foster understanding of the e-government strategy throughout the organization, allow individuals understand how they can help to implement the organization’s strategy, provide ongoing feedback about the progress of executing the strategy, enhanced self-motivation to achieve strategic objectives, create awareness of OSM process, roles & responsibilities among e-government leadership, develop buy-in so that Agencies and employees participate and support the OSM processes and the execution of e-government strategy.
• Software acquisition, implementation, and training: Implementation (evaluation, purchasing, customization, data loading, training and support) of a state-of-the art software aligned with Execution Premium. This is an on-line web-based solution that allows to document and report about the strategy evolution on a continuous basis.
• Strategic Review Meeting facilitation: a quarterly meeting governance calendar was established with the aim to: review detailing and performance of Strategic Objectives against Measures and Targets and Strategic Initiatives against Milestones and Budgets at the end of each quarter. Two Strategic Review Meetings have been facilitated, with decisions recorded (actions, responsibles and due dates).
• Design and implement Risk Mitigation plan: Main Strategic Risks were identified and ranked. Mitigation actions were designed and responsibles assigned.
• OSM Continuous Operation: Assuring that the new practice is embedded into the e-Government organization.