The India Post 2012 Project aims at transforming the Department of Posts into a “Technology Enabled, Self Reliant Market Leader” by introducing IT enabled postal, retail, banking and insurance services. It is directed towards achieving increased market shares and revenues, new products and services, improved service delivery, motivated workforce and rural development.
The Department hired the services of Accenture and National Institute for Smart governance as consultants and to prepare the blue print of the Project and successfully accomplished the preparation of Detailed Project Report. Based on the inputs in the Detailed Project Report, the cabinet committee on economic affairs approved proposal of Department of Posts recommended by the Expenditure Finance Committee( EFC),
Consultancy report identified the following areas as offering potential for India Post electronic funds transfer, online banking, smart cards, mutual funds, social security benefits, postal Giro, e-commerce, and microcredit.
The provision of these services by the Post Office network will have two effects:
1) Modernizing the post office system, expanding the scope of its business, and enabling it to increase revenues in the face of competition in its core activities;
2) Bringing these services to the people as well as further developing the e-commerce and E-government sectors.
Key Objectives are :-
1) Increase existing customer base
2)To provide multiple delivery channels like Internet, Mobile Banking, ATMs, Telephone, cards etc- Access to Financial Services at each – door step
3) To become one Stop Solution for Financial Inclusion & Microfinance initiatives of government, public/private sector banks
4) To become preferred choice of customers by leveraging Core Banking Platform
And the initiative steps taken are
1) Increase Market Share and Revenue
2) Offer New Products and Services
3) Deliver Improved and Consistent Customer Care
4) Drive High Employee Satisfaction
5) Empower Rural Post Offices through Technology
The IT Modernisation Project is implementing throughout India, including rural and remote areas. It is covering 25,000 Departmental Post Office locations and approximately 1,30,000 Rural Post office locations.
Targeted audience are Rural customers Poor, rural development programs, Government of India, rural old age persons, Department employees etc.
Modernization of the Post Office (providing speed and reliability) is a necessary precondition to the growth of e-commerce in rural India. The Post Office's functions can help facilitate and provide essential infrastructure for e-commerce. In other countries, postal organizations are providing fullservice logistics operations for e-commerce companies - handling not only the flow of goods, but also taking orders, warehousing, return services, and guaranteeing a secure payment service. This could be making a developed India.
1)Modernization and Computerization of post offices across the country, including branch postal offices in rural areas and creation of an urban-rural network
2) Implementation of integrated software covering all operations of the DoP such as Mail Operations, Postal Banking, Insurance, Finance and HR
3) Establishment of the required IT Infrastructure including Data centre, Wide Area Network(WAN) based networking of the departmental post offices
4) Deployment of Rural Information Communication Technology (Rural ICT) infrastructure in approximately 1, 30,000 Rural Post Offices across the country.
1) Core Banking- Enable anytime anywhere banking, supported by 1000 ATMs, mobile and web based access for all the users
2) Mail Operation- Increase visibility into mail operations (at the article level and overall volume, Enable mail applications such as track & trace and point of sale
3) Postal Life Insurance- Enable fully integrated life insurance platform Enable efficient and cost effective service to existing and new customers
4) Rural Information and communicating Technology hardware(ICT)- Rural ICT Hardware devices and applications for approximately 1.30 lakh Village Post Offices and, Enabling Branch post offices to perform all transactions electronically
5) Customer Interaction Channels- Manage India post
Website, Customer service call center, E-Commerce solution
for Department of Posts
6) IT System for Post office employees- Enable applications for all
accounting modules and personnel management and Improve employee Productivity through better manpower planning