Please provide a brief summary of the initiative including the problems/challenges it addressed and the solutions that the initiative introduced (300 words maximum)
(PLASTIC WASTE GOJEK)
Early prevention of plastic waste generation in the ocean resulting from household waste, to prevent the accumulation of plastic waste, both in the sea and in the coast.GO.TIK's innovation is a "plastic pickup" service which time and location have been agreed upon under the MoU between GO.TIK Working Group and the community / traditional markets / school groups.
GO.TIK Innovation also provides free plastic waste “door to door”and “cash and carry” service through SMS hotline service.GO.TIK's innovation involves the participation of indigenous people,by coordinating the collection of plastic waste in each banjar / village. Plastic waste management by GO.TIK is running on the 3R concept:
1. reduce: reduce the use of plastic in Household by providing education to society.
2. reuse: reusing used plastic scraps.
3. recycle: recycling used plastic scrap into a new product with economic value.
a. What are the overall objectives of the initiative?
Please describe the overall objectives of the initiative (200 words maximum)
Badung regency is one of the tourist destinations in Indonesia,and also a world class destination. Waste becomes the main problem that must be managed. Waste generationin Badung regency can pile up to 210 ton / day in average.In orderto manage the waste, especially the plastic waste, Badung Regency creates a breakthrough at GO.TIK innovation (Plastic Waste GOJEK). GO.TIK innovation aims to:
1. Prevent plastic waste generationin the ocean and at the coast.
2. Empowering communities in reducing plastic waste in the area of Badung regency.
3. Changing People's Mindset through:
a) Plastic waste as a source of family’s additional income
b) Creating a clean and healthy environment
c) Increase knowledge (Education) early childhood and society in general
4. Creating a tourism image of Badungas a regency which free from plastic waste.
b. How does the initiative fit within the selected category?
Please describe how the initiative is linked to the criteria of the category (200 words maximum)
Based on the second category, which is to build an inclusive institution and ensure participation in policy making.
1. Introducing innovative ideas / policies / structures Community empowerment in managing plastic waste through 3R mechanism (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle)
2. Fighting discrimination and promoting equality and involving all elements of society without distinguishing the status of social and gender
3. Promoting legal framework of GO.TIK Innovation as implementation of Local Regulation no. 7/ 2013 on waste management in Badung Regency
4. Promoting participatory decision making Involving community organizations, customary institutions, and private parties, in dissemination, management and plastic waste process
5. Promoting theresponsiveness of MoU between community groups and GO.TIK working groups.
The initiative should improve people’s lives, notably by enhancing the contribution of public services to the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the realization of the SDGs
a. Please explain how the initiative improves the delivery of public services (200 words maximum)
GO.TIK Innovation contributes to the implementation of the 2030 agenda in the context of sustainable development and realization of SDGs (Sustainable Development Goals) in order to manage plastic waste which contaminating the coastlineof Badung regency. As the impact of west monsoon (period of October to February), the plastic waste drifting in ocean are stranded along the western coastal area of Badung regency, and itweighs 500 tons / month. It is suspected that the waste are coming from several areas in Indonesia,along the Indianocean. This condition raises the idea of innovation to manage and to reduce plastic waste from waste generation sources through GO.TIK innovation 3R concept with "Door to Door Service" concept.Thereby,GO.TIK innovation is potential in reaching the 14 (fourteenth) goal of the SDG on Marine ecosystem, through the following improvements of public service:"Sustainable protection and use of oceans, seas and marine resources". In addition to maintainthe environment and the beach free from plastic waste, this innovation is highly useful for the sea water quality and marine life biota.
The initiative must impact positively a group or groups of the population (i.e. children, women, elderly, people with disability, etc) and address a significant issue of public service delivery within the context of a given country or region.
a. Please explain how the initiative has addressed a significant issue related to the delivery of public services (200 words maximum)
Negative impacts of plastic waste in the ocean is potential todestroy the marine ecosystems.The waste goes into oceans, caused by ineffective waste management and bad behavior of coastal communities around the world in managing plastic waste.In order to maintain the world-class tourism destination image which also becomes the primarysource of Badung’sregional revenue,plastic waste management in Badung regency including its coastal areas becomes the main priority for the sustainability of tourism and development of Badung regency.Badung Regional Revenue (PAD) in 2017 reached more than Rp. 3.8 trillion. We need to change the image of waste, that instead of threatening, wastemay bring blessings which could increase the additional source of income for the people. It has become the world’s concern since the news of waste in Bali being published in Times magazine, Friday, April 1, 2011 edition, in a specific article highlighting Bali tourism titling "Bali Hell". The articlecame with a sub-title saying, "if you want to die, come to Bali".Given Times Magazine iswidely popular,and also one of the world's influential magazines, the article must be addressed wisely by the people and government of Badung regency.
b. Please explain how the initiative has impacted positively a group or groups of the population within the context of your country or region (200 words maximum)
1. Preventing damage to marine ecosystems from plastic waste in the ocean.
2. Changing the bad behavior of people around the world, especially in Badung regency in the management of plastic waste by involving community’s active
3. Securingthe image of Badung regency as a clean and beautiful tourism destination, and increasing the numbers of tourists visiting the area.
4. Increasing Local Revenue of Badung Regency, particularly in tourism sector.
5. The following are the impacts for the community:
a) By having 7 (seven) waste banks spread throughout 6 (six) sub-districts in Badung regency, people would easily sell their waste to the nearest waste bank.
The income generated from the selling can be used economically to:paying school tuition fee, and purchasing a motor bike.
b) The income generated from the selling could reach around Rp. 250.000 – Rp. 1.500.000 per month per person, and it can be used for: paying BPJS Health
Insurance and/or BPJS Employment Insurance premium fee.
c) Early childhood students could also gain from this experience, by adding their knowledge about the danger of plastic waste and how to manage them. This will
be conducted in all level of schools, starting from elementary school up to senior high school throughout 367 schools.
The initiative must present an innovative idea, a distinctively new approach, or a unique policy or approach implemented in order to realize the SDGs in the context of a given country or region.
a. Please explain in which way the initiative is innovative in the context of your country or region (200 words maximum)
GO.TIK Innovation is a breakthrough from the government of Badung regency in managing plastic waste generation scattered along the coastal area which is the main tourism destination in Badung regency.This new approach is carried out through the following ways:
1. Early prevention of plastic waste in the ocean coming from household waste, to prevent the generation of plastic waste both in ocean and at the coast.
2. GO.TIK's innovation is a "plastic pickup" service which time and location have been agreed upon under the MoU between GO Group Working Group and traditional
community / market / school groups.
3. GO.TIK Innovation also provides free door to door service as well as cash and carry plastic waste in the form of quick service through SMS hotline service.
4. GO.TIK's innovation involves the participation of indigenous peoples in coordinating the collection of plastic waste in each banjar / desa.
5. Plastic waste management by GO.TIK is using the 3R mechanism:
a. reduce: reduce the use of plastic in Households by providing education to society, such as disseminating plastic waste negative impact to environment and
b. reuse: reusing used plastic scraps, such as refilling the mineral water bottle.
c. recycle: recycling used plastic scrap into a new product with economic value, such as creating a bag made of used plastic containers.
b. Please describe if the innovation is original or if it is an adaptation from other contexts (If it is known)? (200 words maximum)
This is an original innovation generated by the Head of Environment and Hygiene Officeof Badung Regency. This innovation is an action program of the GELATIK (Sustainable Movement against plastic waste) which implemented during the period of 2011 – 2015. Through the transformation program in the education and leadership training phase II for the first group of alumni,Head of Environment and Hygiene Office refined the program and came up with the idea of GO.TIK innovation. During the program implementation, he creates a working system by building an organizing committee (technical team and administration staffs), providing the supporting facility such as transportation, integrated waste disposal site (TPST), GO.TIK gallery (plastic waste recycle bin) and builds 7 (seven)waste banks.
c. What resources (i.e. financial, human , material or other resources, etc) were used to implement the initiative? (200 words maximum)
1). This programis financed through the Regional Expenditure Budget based on Implementation Budget Document on Plastic Waste Management in Badungregency for
around Rp. 200 million / year in average.
2). Human resource:
a) GO.TIK working group directly involving52 people, and more than 1.000 staffs from the Environment and Hygiene Office to support GO.TIK
b) Sixty two (62) Indigenous people institutions
c) Thirty five (35) tourism management institutions
d) Three hundred sixty seven (367) education institutions
e) Fourty four (44) traditional market managements
f) Sixty two (62) Family Welfare Movements (PKK)
g) Fifteen (15) private institutions
h) Seven (7) waste bank managements
i) Twelve (12) personels of the Rapid Reaction Unit Team
3). Other resources:
a) Transportation: 1 unit of pick up truck, 2 unitsof motorbike, and 1 unit of truck
1 unit of integrated waste disposal site
4 west banksowned by the Badung regency Environment and Hygiene Office
1 unit of recycle site to create handy craft made of plastic waste
1 unit of sewing machine
1 unit of pyrolysis machine as education media
d) saving books and waste bank administration requirements
The initiative should be adaptable to other contexts (e.g. other cities, countries or regions). There may already be evidence that it has inspired similar innovations in other public-sector institutions within a given country, region or at the global level.
a. Has the initiative been transferred to other contexts?
GO.TIK Innovation has been replicated in 57 provincials / regencies / municipalities government institutions throughout Indonesia. This program isabout waste management, particularly plastic waste, the idea of plastic waste management from sources of waste generation, increasing community participation in managing waste, plastic waste management that providesfinancial benefits to the community, educational patterns about the negative impact of plastic waste, the application of plastic waste processing technology, and creating creative craft from plastic waste.Other than the government agencies mentioned above, private sector and indigenous people also replicate GO.TIK's innovation in the form of Village Owned Enterprises in waste management, private-owned waste service business, and the establishment of waste banks.
The initiative should be able to be sustained over a significant period of time.
a. Please describe whether and how the initiative is sustainable (covering the social, economic and environmental aspects) (300 words maximum)
1). Social Aspect
The establishment of several environmental community groups, focus on solid waste management which authorized through a decree letter issued by each village
head. The social community organisations concern on plastic waste are as follows:
a) Seminyak Clean
b) Bye-bye plastic bag
c) Bank sampahLegianAsri
d) EcoBali Recycle Kerobokan
e) Jempanang Lestari waste bank, Beloksidan- Petang
The involvement of these communities in handling waste, especially plastic waste, stands independently by replicating and integrating the program with the GO.TIK
innovation, through an MoU build with the community group, as well as through a statement of support from the public and private institutions as outlined within the
support letter on GO.TIK implementation.
2). Economy Aspect
a) Elevate the Local Revenue of Badung District generated from the tourism sector by the increased number of tourists, and the increased level of customer
satisfaction of plastic waste free tourist sites.
b) Provide additional income for the community for their active participation in collecting plastic waste which are sold to GO.TIK, both individually and groups.
3). Environmental Aspect
a) Plastic waste in ocean and along the beach is mainly caused by the accumulation of plastic waste drifting through the river, due to the community's lack of
awareness regarding to plastic waste management, as well as due to lack of knowledge on the negative impacts of the waste.The waste will finally
contaminating the sea, and threatening the marine ecosystems.
b) Unmanaged plastic waste will pollute the environment and spoiling the aesthetic value of the beach.
c) Plastic waste in ocean will degrade the marine ecosystems function conservation, and will negatively impacts the coastal ecosystems, one of which is the coral
reef ecosystems and mangroves.The hazardous and toxic materials contained in the plastic waste could extinct the marine life.It may degrade or even bereave
the coastal biodiversity.
b. Please describe whether and how the initiative is sustainable in terms of durability in time (300 words maximum)
Based on Badung regency’s vision and mission, as follows:
Vision: “Consolidating Badung Development Direction Based on the Tri HitaKaranaToward Advanced, Peacefull, and Welfare Society”.
The 7th mission of Badungregency “Enhance protection and management for natural resource, environment and disaster relieve”.
Six (6)development principles of Badungregency: Pro Environment
One of the seventeen (17) primary program throughout 2016-2021 in Badung, which is Waste Management Program and Waste Through 3R (Reduce, Reuse dan Recycle).
This has been reflected through Medium Term Development Plan of Badung District 2016-2021, that GO.TIK innovation is an initiative as the effort in managing and reducing plastic waste in Badung regency.This innovation is also in line with the National Plan of Development Planning for the tourism launched by the President of the Republic of Indonesia.The GO.TIK budget which financed from the Regional Revenue Budget is recorded annually into the Budget Use Document on the management and reduction of plastic waste in Badung regency.
The initiative should have gone through a formal evaluation, showing some evidence of impact on improving people’s lives.
a. Has the initiative been formally evaluated?
If yes, please describe how the initiative was evaluated? (200 words maximum)
1. Through the survey of community satisfaction on GO.TIK service, 88% of people stated that they had done well, 10% stated not good, and 2% did not know
2. Survey of tourist satisfaction on tourist destinations free of plastic waste, 89% of tourists stated already knew, 8% states not yet knowing and 3% do not knowing
3. Increasing value of Badung Regency Environmental Quality Index to 73.08 in 2017
4. Data on the amount of plastic waste handled through GO.TIK innovation reaches 3 tons / month in average.
b. Please describe the outcome of the evaluation of the impact of the initiative (200 words maximum)
1. Increased public satisfaction on GOTIK services increased 13% from 2016 by 75% to 88% in 2017.
2. Increased tourist satisfaction on free from plastic waste tourist destinations increased 11% from 2016 by 78% to 89% by 2017. It generated positive response and
appreciation from local and national mass media, both print and television, including the NHK World TV-Japan which broadcasted this news all over the world through
the NHK World network in November 2017.
3. The Environmental Quality Index score of Badung Regency increased from 68.25 in 2016 to 73.08 in 2017.
4. The amount of plastic waste being managed continues to increase from year to year. Up to 2017, the average plastic waste managed by GO.TIK through the Rapid
Reaction Team unit and B3 waste management and cleaning team at the Environmental and Hygiene Office reached 3 tons / month and 200 tons / month on the coast
c. Please describe the indicators that were used (200 words maximum)
1. The value of environmental quality index in Badung regency of 73,08 in 2017 exceeded the value of Bali Province Environmental Quality Index of 63.27 and the
National Environmental Quality Index of 66-69.
2. Performance achievement target in management and reduction of plastic waste in Badung Regency through GO.TIK innovation has been set in Strategic Plan of
Environment and Hygiene Office of Badung, and Medium Term Development Plan of Badung Regency 2016-2021, where the realization of performance achievements
in 2017 amounted to 38 tons / year from the target set at 30 tons / year.
3. The Regional Original Revenue increased from 2016, amounting from Rp. 3.1 trillion to Rp. 3.8 trillion in 2017.
4. The number of tourists visitingBadung regency increases every year by an average of 6 - 7%
The initiative must demonstrate that it has engaged various actors such as from other institutions, civil society, or the private sector, when possible.
a. The 2030 Development Agenda puts emphasis on collaboration, engagement, coordination, partnerships, and inclusion. Please describe what stakeholders were engaged in designing, implementing and evaluating the initiative. Please also highlight their roles and contributions (300 words maximum)
1. Badung Regent, in order to implement policies / regulations based on the Regional Medium-Term Development Plan and Local Regulation No. 7 of 2013 on Waste
2. Environment and Hygiene Office of Badung Regency as the Leading sector
3. Regional officials organization related to the implementation of GO.TIK, as follows:
a) Office of Youth and Sports Education, which mobilizes students throughout 367 elementary, junior high school, and senior high school by ensuring them
participating in the GO.TIK innovation.
b) Local Enterprise of Badung market, coordinating 44 Traditional Markets.
c) Office of Industry and Manpower, coordinating 250 modern stores.
d) Social Service Office, to provide the job seekers with specific guidance on the management of plastic waste into handicrafts.
e) Regional Development Planning Agency, designing budgets on Regional Expenditure Budget to support sustainable plastic waste management program.
f) The secretariat of the Family Welfare Movement (PKK) mobilization team, coordinating gender equality in the management of plastic waste.
g) Health Office, coordinate to print BPJS Health card for environment cadres who are interested to be the waste bank customers.
h) Tourism Office, coordinate all hotels and tourism services industry in the management of plastic waste.
4. Association of all mini market owners, supermarkets and modern shopkeepers in Badung regency to reduce the use of conventional plastics, and replace it with
environment friendly plastic
5. Sixty two (62) Family Welfare Movement (PKK) sub-groups throughout Badungregency, provides motivation to other sub-groups.
6. Non-governmental Expatriates organizations that focus on plastic waste management.
7. Bali Mangrove care Forum.
8. BPD Bank Bali which donates CSR aid on three-wheeled motorcycles, waste bank, and cash-transfer to craftsmen of plastic recycle group.
9. Ayana Resort and Spa Hotel Jimbaran which donates 1 unit of dump truck for transporting plastic waste from the source site.
a. Please describe the key lessons learned, and any view you have on how to further improve the initiative (200 words maximum)
During the implementation of GO.TIK innovation program, many important lessons gained, as follows:
1. Plastic waste processing is a highly useful activity, as it is potential to preserve marine ecosystem.
2. Respects the relationship between human and environment, as being stated within the Tri Hita Karanaconcept, which is believed as Balinese local wisdom and culture.
3. Educates the generation who are prune to the negative impact of plastic waste.
4. Provides profound meaning toward plastic waste management.
5. Provides an understanding for all people to reduce plastic waste from now on.
6. Provides a lesson that a consistent plastic waste management can produce material and immaterial benefits.
7. Reminds us to save the world from negative impact of plastic waste, through the utilization of eco-friendly plastics.